7.10.2012

Being Bendy

Let's talk about yoga.

I've never been flexible, at least not when it comes to my body. Seriously, touching my toes has never been possible for me. But then... I lost 40 pounds. Things that were hard or impossible or uncomfortable for me then, are now a different story! I conquered running (or I'm working on it) and I conquered weight loss, so now what? When I started to think of what I wanted to conquer next the first thing that came to mind was core strength. I played softball for ten years so my arm strength seemed to bounce back once I started working on it, and my legs have been becoming stronger from running, but what about my core? It was being left out! I tried doing sit ups and planks and push ups. It just wasn't working. 

In comes yoga, something I always wanted to try, but always scared to make that leap and join a class. I looked around at a lot of studios and DVDs but it was all expensive or intimidating. Then a few of my friends suggested Savannah Power Yoga, ok they didn't just suggest, they raved about it. I decided to check it out. I was... pretty nervous, but that all went away after the first class. I told my friends that I don't think I could have done it before I started losing weight. Is that true for everyone? No, I don't think so. It's all mental! But I didn't just lose 40lbs, I lost all that inhibition that was stopping me from running and working out for fear of being inferior. And like I said before, things that were hard for me then, aren't now. I mean... crossing my legs! That was uncomfortable.

The best part of the few classes I've been to is that it's just an hour of doing yoga. You focus on nothing but the practice. An hour (or an hour and a half) of being present and not worrying about any of the other BS things floating around in your mind. An hour of me time! So for all you people that don't think you can do yoga, give it a try! You might be surprised at what you can do! And I say all this after only 3 classes, who knows what's going to happen in 3 months.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs