4.20.2012

Milestones

I was a little afraid to talk about this on here because when I weighed in on Wednesday morning I thought it might be a fluke. And so far I've been correct, but I've decided to write anyway (I've also been pretty sore which I've read somewhere could mean I'm retaining more water than usual).

As of 9AM Wednesday morning I have lost 25 pounds on Weight Watchers! 

Wait... huh? WHAT?! I've lost 25 pounds?! It certainly doesn't feel that way. And as much as I brag about myself and the success I've had so far, I don't honestly feel like I've done that much. Yes, I am amazed every time I go out and run 3 miles, and I am able to push myself harder during work out, but other than that and the way my pants fit, I don't feel that different. Why is that? People freak out when they lose 5 pounds, and I've lost that PLUS 20 more. All I can think about is that I have a long way to go. And I don't mean LIKE OMG I'M SO FAT! I HAVE SO MUCH MORE WEIGHT TO LOSE! OMG! I mean that I have a long ways to go before I feel accomplished

I've had a few people ask me how much more I'm going to lose and I don't really have an answer. There is a goal that I have on the Weight Watchers site, but it's just a number. What I want to reach is so much more. I want to finish a half marathon... and who knows maybe finish a WHOLE marathon one day. I want to be able to do push ups. I want to be strong. I don't care if I never weigh under 160 pounds. I'm happy at the weight I am, I'm just not happy with the level of fitness that I'm at. I have so much more that I want to do, and that's what I mean when I say I have a long ways to go.

A lot of people on WW seem to think celebrating milestones is important, and in WW land they give you stars for percentages lost and some other increments. Well last month I ran a 5K when I didn't think I could, this weekend I will run a 5K with CONFIDENCE! Hoping to improve my time, not just run the whole thing without stopping. That's a milestone. I'll celebrate that. Today I decided to join the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training to train for a half marathon (and raise $1,250!) this summer (the race is in November). That's a milestone. For a late night snack I had an apple and peanut butter instead of ice cream. That's a milestone, let's celebrate that!

So next time you see me and notice I've lost weight (or have read this), don't say "When are you going to stop?", ask me why I started.

The weight is just a number. The size of my pants is just a number. 

13.1 miles is soooo much more than a number.

2 comments:

  1. :) Congrats miss lady!!! I am really wanting to get into running too but where I am at there isn't anywhere to run except a treadmill & I'd really like to train outside (on terrain, sidewalks, roads, hills, etc) and save the treadmill for rainy days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually started running on the treadmill and I don't think I would have been so successful without it. It really helped me to push through the hard parts and taught me to pace myself. And finding places to run isn't hard, just drive somewhere and park your car! There have got to be parks or some kind of residential neighborhood near by that you can drive to. I hate running the same thing over and over so I'll drive somewhere (like downtown) to run.

      Delete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs