4.22.2012

Race for The Cure!

This week I worked my little fingers as quick as I could to pump out some tutus in about a days time. They got finished just in time, but there wasn't enough time to make my own! Mostly because I had to work on Friday night, when I'd anticipated having it off. 

I also played softball twice! I joined a team called the Ballbusters, which has been kind of awesome. I played softball for years and years but I was never really in shape or really put my best efforts into being a full on athlete. I haven't played in a looooong time so I can't say I'm very good anymore but it's definitely nice to get out there on the bases and enjoy the sprinting.

On Wednesday I made the last minute (and I mean last minute, I decided with 3 hours left to register haha) to run the Susan G. Komen race in Savannah on Saturday. I originally decided not to because I was in the middle of training for a 10K and had to work at 10:30 on Saturday. Then I said screw it! I've never participated in this event, even though it's pretty big in Savannah because I didn't just want to walk it, and honestly ... I didn't want to walk that far haha. So since I had such huge success at my first 5k in March (a little over a month before this one),  and I'd been working on running longer distances, I was excited to shave some time off of my 5K time. 


But I wasn't as restful this week as I'd like to be. I was super sore from some squats I did Tuesday, plus I ran 3 miles Wednesday, and of course the two softball games I played. On top of that I had to work Friday night which means a lot of walking and standing. And because I always chose fashion over functionality I wore shoes with no support. Going into the race I was still confident, even with the humidity!
Pre-Race with Mindy and Ann.
That being said, I think I was over confident and let my mind fall by the way side. I started up front mostly because that's where I ended up! So being up at the beginning was a little discouraging since everyone (and I mean everyone) was passing me! I cannot believe I let it bother me, but it definitely did. My mind just wasn't where it should have been. I've run this distance numerous times since my first race and at the end I felt like I could have gone further, but this time either because of my mindset, tired legs or the heat, I was EXHAUSTED afterwards. 
Post-race with Ann, a Breast Cancer Survivor, and my all important post race (free) beer.
But in the end I finished with an unofficial time of 30:21 (no chip!)! Which I think is pretty bad ass. But now I'm going to start back on the 10K program and do week 4 over again. Instead of relying on my GPS app I've mapped out various routes with my car in hopes of getting something a little more accuracy.

Here's to a new week!



3 comments:

  1. You're awesome, Katie...and you look really really good!!! You've been so successful so far and I'm so proud of you. I really really want to run a race with you sometime! Let's make it happen!
    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though i run the risk of sounding slightly creepy considering i cant remember the last time i even talked to you, but I just wanted to say that after you linked your blog on your facebook i read through your posts and you have ~inspired me if you will, to start the couch to 5k. I have been wanting to try and find a way to start something like this, and so seeing you talking about it was seriously perfect and it sounds like something i can totally manage.

    ok well, im done leaving you awkward comments now lol
    This is Ember Beasley btw, if you recall me, its certainly been a while :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha that's not awkward! And of course I remember you, although it has been awhile! This comment totally made my day though! If you ever want someone to run with, let me know!

      Delete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs